Culture BBC director of music steps down after Bob Vylan...

BBC director of music steps down after Bob Vylan Glastonbury scandal

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

A BBC music boss has reportedly stepped down following the backlash around British punk-rap Bob Vylan’s controversial Glastonbury 2025 set.  

Lorna Clarke, the BBC’s director of music, was reported by The Times as stepping back from her day-to-day responsibilities – including overseeing live music events – following the backlash to livestreaming Bob Vylan’s performance last month. 

Other senior BBC staff have also temporarily relinquished their day-to-day roles over the Glastonbury controversy – pending an investigation.

The news of Clarke’s resignation comes after UK culture secretary Lisa Nandy condemned the “appalling and unacceptable scenes” and said she had called BBC director-general Tim Davie after the broadcast of Bob Vylan’s set.   

Nandy claimed there is “a problem of leadership” at the BBC, and criticised the corporation over its decision not to pull the livestream after Bob Vylan’s frontman shouted “death, death to the IDF” (Israel Defence Forces). 

Nandy also said in Parliament that “chanting death to the IDF is equivalent to calling for the death of every single Israeli Jew” – a comment that was heavily criticised online. 

In a statement last week, the BBC apologised to viewers for broadcasting the performance. The statement said that Bob Vylan’s comments were “offensive and deplorable” and the broadcasting organisation admitted that despite considering the set “high risk” it deemed the concert suitable for live streaming. 

It then added that the BBC will no longer broadcast any performances it deems to be “high risk”.

Several artists including have backed Bob Vylan with a letter, which stated: “Again, the media is trying to distract you from the real story. The outrage sparked (…) is merely a smoke screen for the lack of reporting on the destruction of the Palestinian people. They are starving children, where is the media’s outrage at Israel’s continued obliteration of a whole nation?” 

However, Bob Vylan have found their Glastonbury appearance under criminal investigation and have been dropped from upcoming festivals in the UK and France.

Furthermore, the band have reportedly been dropped by their agents and have had their US visas revoked.  

The duo has spoken out in defence of their set and comments, saying it is vital to “teach our children to speak up for the change they want” and that they are not calling for “the death of Jews or Arabs or any other race or group” but wish for the “dismantling of a violent military machine.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you