Culture Eurovision winner JJ wants Israel to be excluded from...

Eurovision winner JJ wants Israel to be excluded from song contest

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

Austria’s Eurovision winner JJ says it’s “disappointing” that Israel continues to participate in the song contest.

“I would like Eurovision to be held in Vienna next year and without Israel. But the ball is in the EBU’s court. We, the artists, can only raise our voices on the matter,” the 24-year-old singer told Spanish daily El Pais.

JJ, whose real name is Johannes Pietsch, claimed the coveted title with his pop-operatic ballad ‘Wasted Love’.

In a nail-biting final round of votes he was pitted against Israel’s Yuval Raphael, who finished second with a large amount of public votes.

Austrian singer JJ welcomes well-wishers at Vienna airport after winning the Grand Final of the 69th Eurovision Song Contest in Basel
Austrian singer JJ welcomes well-wishers at Vienna airport after winning the Grand Final of the 69th Eurovision Song Contest in BaselAP Photo/Denes Erdos

Israel’s participation in the competition has been repeatedly criticised over the last month because of the country’s war with Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

Even Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez has waded in on the row, calling for Israel to be banned on the grounds that Russia was excluded from the competition over its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

“Nobody was up in arms when the Russian invasion of Ukraine began three years ago and [Russia] had to leave international competitions and could not take part, as we have just seen, in Eurovision,” Sánchez told a news conference in Madrid.

“Therefore Israel shouldn’t either, because what we cannot allow is double standards in culture.”

Counting controversy

Spanish public broadcaster ‘Radio Televisión Española’ (RTVE) has requested an audit of the voting system saying it wants to ensure there was no external influence by countries taking part.

Israel received 12 points – the maximum amount – from Spain during the contest.

Other broadcasters have also expressed concern including Ireland’s RTÉ, Belgium’s VRT and Finland’s Yle Entertainment.

In the El Pais interview, JJ agreed there should be “greater transparency on the issue of televoting.”

“This year it was all very strange”, the classically trained opera singer said. He also backed comments made by last year’s winner, Switzerland’s Nemo, who has repeatedly called for Israel’s expulsion.

“Especially, [Eurovision] needs to make changes in terms of the voting system and who participates in the festival,” JJ told El Pais.

Yuval Raphael from Israel performs the song 'New Day Will Rise' during the Grand Final of the 69th Eurovision Song Contest, in Basel, Switzerland, Saturday, May 17, 2025.
Yuval Raphael from Israel performs the song ‘New Day Will Rise’ during the Grand Final of the 69th Eurovision Song Contest, in Basel, Switzerland, Saturday, May 17, 2025.Martin Meissner/Copyright 2025 The AP. All rights reserved.

Israeli entry Raphael, a survivor of the Hamas attack on the Nova music festival in 2023, has not yet commented on JJ’s remarks.

The 24-year-old singer on Wednesday thanked the Israeli people for their support throughout the contest and her second-place victory.

“We did it!”, Rafael wrote on her Instagram account. “I’m still trying to digest all this abnormal thing that happened. I’m probably going to take a while, but I just have to tell you that I’ve never felt so strong!”

Her song, ‘New Day Will Rise’, received points from 34 out of the 38 nations voting by phone.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU), which organises the contest, has said the competition should be politically neutral.

In a statement to Euronews the contest’s director, Martin Green, said, “We fully respect JJ’s right to express their personal opinion and understand the concerns and deeply held views around the current conflict in the Middle East.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you