Culture Francis Ford Coppola gives update amid reports of hospitalisation

Francis Ford Coppola gives update amid reports of hospitalisation

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

Following reports that Francis Ford Coppola had been admitted on Tuesday to the Policlinico Tor Vergata, a public hospital in Rome, the acclaimed American director has released an update on his health.

The director of The Godfather and Apocalypse Now and his representative have released a statement revealing that Coppola underwent a non-emergency cardiac procedure in the Italian capital. 

“Mr. Coppola went in for a scheduled update procedure” – performed by renowned Italian-born cardiologist Dr. Andrea Natale – and is “resting nicely.”  

“There was not an emergency. He went to the hospital in a car. He had a scheduled appointment.” 

Coppola, 86, has been a patient of Natale for more than 30 years, the representative added. “All is well.” 

Coppola also posted a photograph of himself on Instagram, saying: “Da Dada (what my kids call me) is fine, taking an opportunity while in Rome to do the update of my 30-year-old afib procedure with its inventor, a great Italian doctor — Dr. Andrea Natale,” it said.  

The term “a-fib” is short for atrial fibrillation, a type of abnormal heart rhythm. 

Voir cette publication sur Instagram

Une publication partagée par Francis Ford Coppola (@francisfordcoppola)

Coppola was in Italy to promote his latest (and extremely polarising) movie Megalopolis, a $120 million self-funded production which premiered in Cannes last year. It had a special screening at the Magna Graecia Film Festival in Catanzaro. 

In our (less than glowing) review of Megalopolis, we said: “It’s all a mad jumble of heteroclitic strands that defy basic storytelling and dramatic coherence. Think Cloud Atlas by way of Southland Tales. And even that sounds better than Megalopolis actually is. (…) While this futurist fantasy sounds so insane it could border on genius, don’t delude yourselves into thinking that Megalopolis is one of those ahead-of-its-time / bless-this-mess future classics made by a filmmaker with nothing left to lose. Just because the veteran director behind such classics as The GodfatherApocalypse Now and The Conversation decides to deliver his go-for-broke magnum opus, doesn’t make it any less of an indulgent folly that borders on nonsensical.”

Still, we’re glad he’s well.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you