Culture 'Grandpa Robbers' found guilty in Kardashian robbery

‘Grandpa Robbers’ found guilty in Kardashian robbery

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

A French court found the ringleader and seven other members who were involved in the armed robbery of Kim Kardashian guilty, but did not give them a prison sentence.

The chief judge, David De Pas, said that the defendants’ ages and their health issues weighed on the court’s decision to impose milder sentences. He added that the nine years between the robbery and the trial was also taken into account.

The 69-year-old ringleader Aomar Aït Khedache received the stiffest sentence, eight years imprisonment but five of those were suspended.

Three others got seven years, five of them suspended. Three more got prison sentences ranging from five to three years, mostly or completely suspended, and an eighth person was found guilty on a weapons charge and fined.

However, with the time already served in pretrial detention, none of the defendants will have to sit out a further prison sentence.

The court acquitted two of the 10 defendents.

Almost a decade ago, a group dubbed the “Grandpa Robbers”, because of their age and long criminal histories, tied up the reality star at gunpoint and stole millions of dollars’ worth of jewellery.

Kardashian flew to Paris earlier this month to testify. The reality star had been alone in her luxury residence during the 2016 Paris Fashion Week, and said she believed she would have been raped, killed and would never see her children again.

On Friday, Khedache asked for “a thousand pardons,” communicated via a written note in court. Other defendants also used their final words to express remorse.

Omar Aït Khedache leaves after the verdict in the trial of Kim Kadashian heist, Friday, May 23, 2025 in Paris.
Omar Aït Khedache leaves after the verdict in the trial of Kim Kadashian heist, Friday, May 23, 2025 in Paris.Christophe Ena/Copyright 2025 The AP. All rights reserved.

Kardashian’s lawyer Franck Berton told the Associated Press that Kardashian forgave the ringleader.

“I do appreciate the letter, I forgive you,” she said. “But it doesn’t change the feelings and the trauma and the fact that my life was forever changed.”

Kardashian was not present for the verdict, but her lawyers said she had accepted the court’s ruling.

The celebrity wrote in a statement afterwards that she was “deeply grateful to the French authorities for pursuing justice in this case.”

The crime was the most terrifying experience of my life, leaving a lasting impact on me and my family. While I’ll never forget what happened, I believe in the power of growth and accountability and pray for healing for all,” she added.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you