Culture Is a presidential pardon on the cards for Sean...

Is a presidential pardon on the cards for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs?

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs may not be able to count on a presidential pardon from Donald Trump.

The rapper was found guilty on two counts of transportation for engaging in prostitution last month – but was acquitted of racketeering and sex trafficking.

In a recent interview, the US president called Combs “half-innocent”, saying it’s “more likely a no” that he would be pardoned.

“Well, he was essentially, I guess, sort of half-innocent,” Trump told Newsmax host Rob Finnerty, adding: “[He’s] still in jail or something, but he was celebrating a victory. But I guess it wasn’t as good of a victory.”

When asked whether he would consider pardoning Combs, Trump recalled that he was “very friendly” with the rapper and that he “got along with him great.”

Indeed, Trump reportedly attended some of Combs’ VIP parties in New York City and once called the rapper “a good friend” during a 2012 episode of The Apprentice.

However, Trump added: “But when I ran for office, he was very hostile. It’s hard, you know? We’re human beings. And we don’t like to have things cloud our judgment, right? But when you knew someone and you were fine, and then you run for office, and he made some terrible statements. So I don’t know…. it makes it more difficult to do.”

Indeed, Combs told Charlamagne Tha God in 2020 that “if Trump gets elected, I really do believe in my heart there’ll be a race war”.

He went onto to say: “White men like Trump need to be banished. That way of thinking is real dangerous. This man literally threatened the lives of us and our families about going to vote… The number one priority is to get Trump out of office.”

Check out the full interview below.

Combs is currently awaiting sentencing at the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, New York, where he has been held since his arrest in September last year.

Last week, he asked a judge to release him on a $50 million bail as he waits to be sentenced on 3 October.

Prosecutors opposed Combs’ request and have said that they now expect Combs could face a prison sentence “substantially higher” than the four to five years they once thought he was likely to face after his conviction.

They believe the guidelines range “will be substantially higher,” raising the risk Combs will flee.

Judge Arun Subramanian can choose to ignore the guidelines, which are not mandatory, and Combs’ lawyers have said they believe the guidelines, if properly calculated, will call for 21 to 27 months in prison.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you