Culture Terrorism case against Kneecap rapper Mo Chara adjourned by...

Terrorism case against Kneecap rapper Mo Chara adjourned by UK court

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

Kneecap member Mo Chara – real name Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh – was greeted by hundreds of fans and supporters as he arrived for his second court appearance at Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.

Fans held signs which read “Free Mo Chara”, while others waved Palestine and Irish flags and chanted “Free, free Mo Chara.”

He was also joined by his bandmates Naoise Ó Cairealláin and J. J. Ó Dochartaigh.

Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, aka Mo Chara, arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court London - 20 August 2025
Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, aka Mo Chara, arrives at Westminster Magistrates Court London – 20 August 2025 AP Photo

Supporters outside Westminster Magistrates Court London today
Supporters outside Westminster Magistrates Court London today AP Photo

Supporters outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court - 20 August 2025
Supporters outside Westminster Magistrates’ Court – 20 August 2025 AP Photo

Prosecutors allege the 27-year-old displayed a flag in support of proscribed terror organisation Hezbollah at a gig in London in November last year.

During the three-hour hearing, his defence team argued the case should be thrown out, citing a technical error. Defence counsel Brenda Campbell KC told the court that the Attorney General had not given permission for the case to be brought against the defendant when police informed him he was to face a terror charge on 21 May. However, Prosecutor Michael Bisgrove said permission was not required until the defendant’s first court appearance.

Chief magistrate Paul Goldspring said the case was adjourned.

Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh has yet to enter a plea but denied wrongdoing. He has once again been released on unconditional bail (similarly to his first court appearance in June) and now faces a month-long wait to find out whether his terrorism charge will be thrown out.

He will appear in court again on 26 September.

Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, aka Mo Chara, second right, speaks to supporters as he departs Westminster Magistrates Court London
Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, aka Mo Chara, second right, speaks to supporters as he departs Westminster Magistrates Court London AP Photo

Speaking outside the courts today, Mo Chara thanked supporters for coming and said: “We know this story is more than just about me. It’s more than Kneecap; this is a story about Palestine and us as a distraction from the real story.”

He added: “We know, unfortunately, this story will end up in the media today, while Israel commits genocide at the same time. So, everybody, continue to speak about Palestine. Free Palestine.”

Supporters at Westminster Magistrates Court London - 20 August 2025
Supporters at Westminster Magistrates Court London – 20 August 2025 AP Photo

On Tuesday evening, the Metropolitan Police issued Public Order Act conditions for today’s court date. 

The conditions were being enacted to “prevent serious disruption being caused by a protest” outside the court, stated the Metropolitan Police.  

Kneecap reacted to these Public Order Act conditions, writing on X: “We massively appreciate the support of what we know are the majority of the public, who can see this farce for what it is. It is a distraction from war crimes that the British State support. In our view this police action is designed to try and portray support for Kneecap as somehow troublesome.” 

Their post continued: “It is a calculated political decision the night before Mo Chara’s court appearance. There is no basis for this, our last hearing was entirely peaceful and a loving show of solidarity with the most disruptive attendees the right wing media. We know all of our supporters will be, but please go out of your way to be compliant with all instructions issued, irrespective of how pitiful. Free Palestine.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you