Culture Venice Film Festival faces pressure to take stronger stand...

Venice Film Festival faces pressure to take stronger stand on Gaza

-

- Advertisment -
ADVERTISEMENT

The 82nd Venice Film Festival kicks off on Wednesday and both Italian and international filmmakers have called on the festival to condemn what they describe in an open letter as genocide and ethnic cleansing in Gaza. 

The appeal, under the banner of Venice4Palestine, was sent to the Venice Film Festival’s umbrella organisation the Biennale di Venezia, as well as the festival’s Venice Days and International Critics’ Week sections.

The group urges the festival to avoid becoming “a sad and empty showcase”. To be better, the group asks the festival to take a “clear and unambiguous stand”, to provide “a place of dialogue, active participation, and resistance, as it has been in the past” and highlight Palestinian narratives to better address “ethnic cleansing, apartheid, illegal occupation of Palestinian territories, colonialism and all the other crimes against humanity committed by Israel for decades, not just since October 7.” 

Signatories include Italian actor Toni Servillo, Italian actress and director siblings Alba and Alice Rohrwacher, French directors Céline Sciamma and Audrey Diwan (who won the Golden Lion for Happening in 2021), British filmmaker Ken Loach (who won the Honorary Golden Lion in 1994) and British actor Charles Dance, as well as Palestinian directorial duo Arab Nasser and Tarzan Nasser – who won best director in Cannes Un Certain Regard this year for their film Once Upon A Time In Gaza

Audrey Diwan with the Golden Lion in 2021
Audrey Diwan with the Golden Lion in 2021 AP Photo

In the letter, they write: “As the spotlight turns on the Venice Film Festival, we’re in danger of going through yet another major event that remains indifferent to this human, civil, and political tragedy. ‘The show must go on,’ we are told, as we’re urged to look away – as if the ‘film world’ had nothing to do with the ‘real world.’” 

“We must interrupt the flow of indifference and open a path to awareness,” they add, stating that “there is no cinema without humanity.” 

The letter concludes: “Let us ensure that this Mostra has meaningful values and does not turn into a sad and shallow vanity fair once more. Let’s do it all together – with courage, with integrity. Free Palestine!” 

Ken Loach
Ken Loach AP Photo

The Biennale was quick with their response, saying they and the Venice Film Festival “have always been, throughout their history, places of open discussion and sensitivity to all the most pressing issues facing society and the world.” 

They cite as evidence “the works that are being presented”, citing the case of the film The Voice of Hind Rajab by Tunisian director Kaouther Ben Hania, which is in competition this year and centres on the killing of a 5-year-old Palestinian girl in a car that had been attacked by Israeli forces in Gaza in 2024.

In its statement, the Biennale further noted that last year’s Venice line-up featured Israeli director Dani Rosenberg’s film Of Dogs and Men shot in the wake of the Oct. 7 Hamas attack.  

“The Biennale is, as always, open to dialogue,” the statement concluded. 

Both statements from Venice4Palestine and the Biennale come as the global hunger monitor, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification, announced last week that people in the Gaza Strip are officially facing “a man-made” famine in the territory – despite what the Israeli government has said. 

The statements also come prior to the upcoming United Nations meeting in September, with many nations including Britain, France and Canada saying that they are preparing to officially recognize a state of Palestine. 

The 82nd Venice International Film Festival runs from 27 August to 6 September.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the

Film of the Week: ‘Sorry, Baby’ – A masterful exploration of trauma

ADVERTISEMENT The scariest thing about life’s worst moments is the silence in which they often unfold. The world goes on, night falls, the windows of a suburban house glow as cars drive by. Yet for the person inside, existence has cracked; an irrevocable disconnect between who you once were, and the confused ghost you’ve become. 

From Taylor to Twin Peaks: The most iconic rings in pop culture

ADVERTISEMENT Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce have set the internet ablaze with news of their engagement, and all eyes have been on the ring.  According to US reports, Kelce worked with New York designer Kindred Lubeck of Artifex Fine Jewelry to design the ring and since the news of the engagement broke, the designer’s website has
- Advertisement -

165-million-year-old dinosaur with ‘weaponised tail’ found in Morocco

ADVERTISEMENT Scientists have unearthed the remains of a heavily armoured dinosaur, complete with rib spikes, a bony neck collar and a tail that may have doubled as a weapon. The fossil, discovered in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, dates back 165 million years and belongs to a newly identified species of ankylosaur called Spicomellus. And this wasn’t

Why is Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum warning it may have to close?

ADVERTISEMENT Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, home to the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh, has issued an extraordinary warning: without fresh government funding, it may be forced to shut its doors. The museum says a shortfall in state support threatens a €104m renovation plan - and with it the safety of the

Must read

Newly discovered document adds evidence that Shroud of Turin is fake

ADVERTISEMENT The Shroud of Turin is one of the most treasured ancient artefacts, attracting countless tourists to the Italian city - despite the fact that the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist in Turin only publicly displays it on special occasions. Also known as the Holy Shroud, the linen cloth bears the faint image of

Original Harry Potter director on reboot series: ‘What’s the point?’

ADVERTISEMENT Chris Columbus, the celebrated American director of both Home Alone films, Mrs. Doubtfire and the first two Harry Potter films, has questioned the need to reboot the series with the upcoming HBO adaptation of J.K. Rowling’s novels. The filmmaker is currently promoting his Netflix film The Thursday Murder Club, which is based on the
- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you